Sunday, May 15, 2011

Living AnthroFit!!!

  We took it outside today, the whole family.  We went hiking; no real plan, just on the move.  We got ourselves, we got the dogs ready to go, and hit the trail.  Our first hike nearly barefoot (Vibrams).  It felt good, except for the rocks piercing through the bottom of our feet, Jami says.  Well, there is a learning curve.  We had to pick a good line and pay attention to the rocks.  All-in-all, it was a great experience, and actually seemed easier climbing back up the rocks, better grip I guess.  It was definitely different in respect to balance, comparing the Vibrams to traditional hiking shoes or boots.  We both felt like we were using more muscles to balance throughout the hike.  I (Keith) couldn't help but think that my gait must have been like what the dogs' were experiencing, natural.  A great workout! 
Stopping for a Kodak Moment
Vibrams
Dogs Going Barefoot






Found this pretty awesome wing on the trail today. Looks like a tribal eye....Nature has the greatest surprises. Listening to all the noises in the woods makes my soul sing. The wind rustling all the leaves of the trees, all the many birds ...Arkansas has the most birds singing at one time than I've ever experienced anywhere else! All the creatures and critters quickly departing as you come up on them. And who knows about the other critters that aren't usually seen, and this is generally a good thing for us humans! One of my favorite things to do is.. after hiking for a bit, with my blood  flowing and I'm feeling like I'm part of nature, I stop and look out and I can see waves of movement......it's the energy of everything singing a song...the energy of the universe. 
Uni (one) verse (song). When I find just the right spot where the sun peeks through the trees I stop and look up and just soak up the gift of warmth and light. Sungazing. The sun shining on my face. Moments of  complete connection. One of my favorite movies in the 80's is called Mask. About a boy who was born with a deformed face. Beyond his face he was normal ..except for the physical impairment he suffered. He wrote a poem that was read with his voice near the end of the movie....He said "These are the things that I like"....listed many things and ended with "the sun shining on my face" then he said "These are the things that I don't like"....another list, and ended with "the sun shining on my face". I think of that often for some reason. Funny how things leave an impression.
I love being with our little family. We are so blessed. Our dogs are nowhere near "trained" but they are such a WILD joy!
I hiked yesterday morning with my friend Lorrie. We started Saturday morning off with 8 miles outside. It was great. Good friend-time, good outside-time and definitely good for the body. So grateful for this beautiful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment