Friday, May 6, 2011

First Run in Vibrams!


Yesterday Keith and I went for our first run (together) in our Vibrams. We went out for about 45 minutes and did sprints. It was such an amazingly beautiful day as you can see. It looks heavenly with the sun peeking through the trees, and it actually felt that way. After this segment of tornadoes, storms and flooding across the state lately, you can see the air has been cleansed! And, it is also, pre-Arkansas Heat! Perfect! It was one of those days where the universe has other plans than what was on the books. We both had clients in the morning, my afternoon canceled, and voila! a surprise gift from the universe to enjoy a beautiful day together and we took advantage of that and went outside. Now, let's preface this by saying that.....Keith is a runner....Jami (me) does not hold that title yet. But would like to expand fitness experience and levels. He only ended up about a mile ahead of me each sprint. (smiley face) I have to say, I would much rather do sprints than jog....at a slower pace for longer amount of time. I enjoyed this. With the Vibrams, they suggest starting out with an hour a day and build up the muscles in your feet and progress to all day and then into running. I didn't have any problems wearing them for longer periods right away. And I didn't experience anything negative running in them. The only thing I noticed was not being able to run as fast just because of being more cautious with my feet. And today, just a little tightness in my legs, probably to be expected after first run of season, season of new experiences! They say to imagine you are out on the hunt.....being chased by the lion ....or tiger...or bear! oh my! Whatever it takes to get the mind and neuro pathways firing. Create the intensity, better results faster with greater intensity.
Today looks just as beautiful outside. Nature is truly magical. Embrace your day!

Here's an interesting link to information on barefoot running and why it's more natural and heathy for the long-term health of our feet.
http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment